Monday, December 16, 2013

A tale of two Christians

I came across the following post on the online cancer support sites. It is the response to the topic of how has cancer changed your perspective on life.
From a Christian perspective; I fully believe that nothing comes to me that has not passed the approval of my God in Heaven, why I have been given this hill to climb, I don't know. That being said, I have just continued my life as though all is good, which it is. The only difference is I now have a greatly enhanced ability to appreciate my family, friends and loved ones which includes all of those on this board. I have met some great people here whose love and friendship I cherish. I just do what the doctors say and live every day the best I can. Then, when I see the news about 2 young teenagers in our small town being killed in needless car crashes, I realize just how blessed I am to have lived and loved these many years.
This person, a 10 year cancer survivor, gives a tour de force look at this disease through a very Christian lens. It is effective witness for team Christ. You can find love and gratitude in every sentence. No wasted or weasel words.

The same cannot be said about the recent mutterings of a Christian business leader in his capacity as insurance commissioner for the state of Georgia.
“Well, a pre-existing condition would be then you calling up your insurance agent and saying, ‘I’d like to get collision insurance coverage on my car,’ and your insurance agent says, ‘Well, you’ve never had that before. Why would you want it now?’ And you say, ‘Well, I just had a wreck, it was my fault and I want the insurance company to pay to repair my car,’” Hudgens said to laughter. “And that’s the exact same thing on pre-existing insurance.”
Humbled by criticism for his blame the victim mentality, he issued the standard perfunctory oops.

But Hudgens, who made the remarks to a group of Republicans last month, said in an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Wednesday that he had used a “really poor analogy” and “nothing could be further from the truth.”
“I’ve had family members, I’ve had friends … who have pre-existing conditions,” he said. “It’s not the person’s fault they have a pre-existing condition.”
The hypocrisy did not stop with just having family members and friends with pre-existing conditions that would make it impossible for them to buy health insurance if they could not get it through their employer. He has a major pre-existing condition of his very own - prostate cancer.
A day after Georgia's Republican insurance commissioner Ralph Hudgens was criticized for "out-of-touch" remarks on pre-existing medical conditions, spokesman Glenn Allen revealed that Hudgens has a pre-existing condition of his own. 
Allen told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Thursday that Hudgens has gone in for regular checkups following surgery for prostate cancer more than a decade ago.
What an odd set of values. Instead of being grateful to God to have been given 10 years of good health after a bout with cancer, he exhibits little concern for people struggling with a life-threatening condition and how to pay for medical care without health insurance coverage. He did not misspeak. He spoke through the lens of political privilege and personal wealth. That was Mammon talking.

What was it Jesus said about what is expected of those that have been given much? I think it went something like this:
To whomever much is given, of him will much be required; and to whom much was entrusted, of him more will be asked.
Behold, two Christians given the gift of 10 years of life as a cancer survivor. One counts his blessings and the other mocks the less fortunate. Guess which one hurts the public perception of the Christian brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment