Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pray for peace in Egypt

The continuing violence in Egypt is a stark reminder of our capacity to harm one another. The chaos in the streets has left more than 400 dead and 3500 injured. Even journalists have been targeted with 3 killed and others wounded. Voices of peace, like Mohammed ElBaradei have been ignored.
“I saw that there were peaceful ways to end this clash in society; there were proposed and acceptable solutions for beginnings that would take us to national consensus," he wrote in a resignation letter. “It has become difficult for me to continue bearing responsibility for decisions that I do not agree with and whose consequences I fear. I cannot bear the responsibility for one drop of blood."
Violence only sews the seeds for more violence. I pray for healing calm in the midst of rage. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

Unfortunately, the United States is generous with aid for weapons, but not for peaceful development. Our foreign policy is morally bankrupt. It has been that way for generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment