Monday, November 5, 2012

She prayed for a miracle

I ran across Sunny Carney when my son's doctors first mentioned the possibility of neuroendocrine cancer. Sunny suffered from the disease and described her battles with brutal honesty. Beyond her tireless advocacy, two things stood out for me about Sunny. One was her incredible love of life, even in the face of pain and discomfort. The other was her love of God. Her faith was vibrant and echoed throughout her writings.

A little over a week ago, Sunny posted this on her blog.
Many of you who follow my blog know the happens of me physically. I will somehow keep you somewhat posted but I don't want to focus on the negative. I am asking that everyone pray for a miracle. Please pray that some new treatment comes up. I'm currently taking chemo that is really strong and making me really sick. So we need to watch me on it. The kids hate seeing me suffer but they are begging me not to stop. So we are taking things one happy day at a time. It's ok to cry as long as you wipe the tears and laugh with me too. So let's do that. Happy times will keep me here. Cry when you see me then hug me and laugh. Let's have fun. Now enough cancer talk. Enough feeling bad for me. Have fun with me and treat me like the old Sunny.
Sunny went on to tell everyone to find ways of filling the empty spaces in our hearts with love. She closed her message with "I love you all."

Sunny died a week later. Thanks to social media, news of her death spread quickly among the neuroendocrine cancer community.

Those who reject God like to take unanswered prayers for miracles as proof that faith is superstition. They often joke that God cannot (or will not) heal the blind, regenerate amputated limbs, and cure disease. Yet, even if all suffering were cease, these same people would still demand concrete evidence. Without that proof, the concept of God adds no meaning to their existence.

Having faith simply means accepting the invitation to enter into a relationship with God. It does not mean snapping your fingers and having every wish and whim granted. The temptation to believe God is the cosmic equivalent of Santa Claus is considerable. That temptation brings out the wolves in sheep's clothing. Many so-called religious leaders do promise health and prosperity if your faith is strong enough. The test of that faith is usually giving them money and following their commands. If you do not receive your heart's desire, you only have the weakness of your faith to blame.

Sunny Carney's walk of faith gave her the strength to comfort others even as she suffered. Her love for God and others did not waver in the face of life's storms. As she put it, "everyone has some kind of cancer in their life." For some, that cancer is abnormal cell growth or other diseases in their body. Others struggle with poverty or other social injustices as their cancer. For too many in America, it is lust for power, money, and other trappings of materialism.

Yes, Sunny asked that we pray for a miracle. Rather than a new treatment, the answer to those prayers seems to be an end to her suffering. Perhaps the real miracle is all the people who learned to count each day as a blessing because of Sunny, who now draw strength from her courage. Cancer never had the power to shake her faith or diminish her love.

I pray for God's love to comfort Sunny's family and friends as they mourn the loss of her physical presence. I also give thanks for her courageous walk of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment