Thursday, June 5, 2014

Dr. Mohler has another cow about same-sex relationships

A pastor of great faith spoke from his heart. His name is Pastor Danny Cortez. He asks for space to have a discussion about something weighing on his heart. He is having second thoughts about telling members of his congregation that they must give up ever falling in love if they are attracted to the same sex. He gives a brilliant sermon.




Pastor Cortez was quickly condemned by Dr. Albert Mohler in the name of the Southern Baptist Convention. Here is a taste.
For some time now, it has been increasingly clear that every congregation in this nation will be forced to declare itself openly on this issue. That moment of decision and public declaration will come to every Christian believer, individually. There will be no place to hide, and no place safe from eventual interrogation. The question will be asked, an invitation will be extended, a matter of policy must be decided, and there will be no refuge. (emphasis added) 
There is no third way on this issue. Several years ago, I made that argument and was assailed by many on the left as being “reductionistically binary.” But, the issue is binary. A church will recognize same-sex relationships, or it will not. A congregation will teach a biblical position on the sinfulness of same-sex acts, or it will affirm same-sex behaviors as morally acceptable. Ministers will perform same-sex ceremonies, or they will not.
Christian leaders like Mohler have always made me question my faith. According to these new age Pharisees, as a follower of Jesus I am to mistreat neighbors, co-workers, and fellow Christians in the LGBT community, and do it in the name of Christ. As a heterosexual, I am encouraged to see myself as morally superior to these "unrepentant sinners" and should miss no opportunity to remind them of Hell's all consuming fires if they do not pray away the gay. The trouble is the Christ I know would have none of that.

I can see Christ in the sermon given by Pastor Cortez. It was filled with love and humility. He was patient in learning the historical context of the Apostle Paul's letters. I was able to see those passages in a completely new light thanks to Pastor Danny. In fact, I was given new appreciation for the genius of Paul in creating a narrative.

Perhaps I am blind, but I do not see Christ in the reproach-filled sermon from seminary president Mohler. Even the language is disturbing. "No place to hide." "... eventual interrogation." "... no refuge." Those images conjure up judgment and punishment, like heretics being rounded up and brought before a tribunal.

My question is this. Do I risk disapproval from the Lord if I seek to emulate Pastor Danny and treat all with love, dignity, and respect? I do not believe so. Frankly, all doubt vanished when I read Mohler's diatribe. If this is a binary issue, count me on Team Danny. If I understand the words and examples of Jesus in the gospel accounts, we are to love others as God has loved us. We are to focus on our own sin, not gathering stones to hurl at others. It is always better to err on the side of loving others too much rather than too little. Our time should be spent lessening the suffering of others rather than adding to their burdens.

Brother Albert from his lofty perch sees fit to pronounce Pastor Danny's congregation guilty of having "rejected the clear teachings of Scripture."
There is nothing but heartbreak in this situation. Here we face a church that has rejected the clear teachings of Scripture, the affirmations of its confession of faith, and two millennia of Christian moral wisdom and teaching. But the Convention also faces a test of its own resolve and convictional courage.
There is something horribly wrong with this picture. I just cannot quite put my finger on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment