Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Learning the way of Jesus"

In our culture obsessed with wealth, celebrity, and consumption, Greg and Helms Jarrell offer an important perspective on "learning the way of Jesus."
Life in Enderly Park has been a training ground for me in unlearning that perspective on mission. I am learning to see that my neighbors, who are mostly poor and mostly black, are some of the best teachers I can have in learning the way of Jesus. They certainly do not have all of the answers, but learning to see my neighbors as brother and sister rather than as recipients of my charitable cause represents a shift in doing mission. This is a shift that has been going on for a while – Hyaets Community certainly did not make this up – but that still needs wider adoption throughout the church in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment