Friday, July 4, 2014

On Independence Day

Today is one those days we are supposed to chant "USA! USA! USA!". Fire up the grill, gorge on tubed, ground and slabbed meat, and take in some local fireworks. You know the drill. This year, I find myself left with too many questions about state of our nation.

A bunch of states want a new confederacy. If they had their wish, the union would be dissolved in favor of a confederacy of independent states that come together to promote commerce. The Tea Party movement is filled with state's rights fanatics. Why should I salute a flag that so many Americans say symbolizes nothing more than a marriage of convenience?

As a nation, we celebrate greed and materialism. We cheer violence and vengeance. Our political and business leaders ridicule the poor, sick without insurance, old without a fat pension, and disabled as unworthy of taxpayer support. Look at the hatred on the faces of these Americans for those fleeing violence and corruption in Central America. As a follower of Christ, all of this turns my stomach. Why should I cheer an ethically bankrupt culture?

Adding to my ambivalence is the remarkable number of Christian leaders that serve as apologists for our materialistic, militaristic, and narcissistic culture. Here are some praying over the "invisible hand of the free market." Here are some praying for war. Here are pastors passing out guns. Here are some praying for the desecration of God's creation. Pretending fossil fuels help the poor and honor God is one of the most utterly repulsive instances of blasphemy I have ever seen. And, of course, these same leaders demand control over other people's genitals and the right to stone offenders.

I doubt the sincerity of the head of Southern Baptist ethics when he says things like this:
I think that we must be cultural warriors, if what we mean by culture warriors is an engagement with the outside culture about what we believe and why that's important. I think we must be Christshaped culture warriors, meaning that we don't back down on the issues. We speak with truth. But we speak with a truth that is consistent with the mission that we have to see people reconciled to God. So I believe that the sort of cowardice that would not apply the Gospel to issues that are destroying people and destroying families and destroying communities is not consistent with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
If he is really fighting for Christ then why is he standing with worshippers of Mammon, war, and Almighty Self? He is slick. I will give him that. His cultural indignation is only tweaked when it involves homosexuality, contraception, and abortion. He is pleased as punch to bask in our culture's love for money, guns, and social darwinism. He was giddy when for-profit corporations were granted religious rights. He and others like him preach too much self-centered salvation for my tastes.

I thought Jesus called us to help repair the world, bring about something closer to thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Every time I hear America referred to as a "Christian nation," I cringe and feel like throwing up. Jesus spent his ministry going among the poor, sick, and spiritually broken. His disciplines were taught to share the good news of God's enduring love, grace, and mercy. This same Jesus upbraided the rich and condemned the hypocrisy of religious leaders. He even warned future shepherds not to lead his flock astray or pray they were never born when forced to account for their actions.

This Independence Day I find myself wondering if indeed our best days are behind us as a nation. There is nothing exceptional about a nation that continues to disenfranchise voters and allow the rich to buy elections. At least it  spares me of idolatry when it comes to patriotism.

So today I will eat too much and give thanks for the blessings we do have as a nation. At the end of the day, what gives my life meaning is that rebellious Jew from Nazareth named Jesus.

Today I Give Thanks (TIGT) for the first crop of tomatoes and herbs from the garden. These gifts are about to become a smoked and slow roasted sauce. Very tasty over our daily bread.







No comments:

Post a Comment